Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Walking with God in the Season of Motherhood: A Review
I will re-post this review on my regular blog next week, I promise. But in the meantime, I wanted to get my thoughts out on paper here.
Walking with God in the Season of Motherhood is an 11 week Bible study for mothers of all stages, from newborn to college. Based on a personal study written by a mom for another mom-to-be, this book is definitely applicable for the whole season of motherhood and it is full of probing questions to help you with your journey with God.
My only complaints are:
1) It seems as if every day's readings and questions are really stinking long for a busy mom. It took me at least 15 minutes to complete most of the readings. To the book's credit, they do print the Bible verses right in the study so you don't have to look everything up. Also, except for the probing personal application questions, the questions are easy with short answers. I just question if I would have time for this every Monday-Friday. (Btw, there are only 5 study days a week. Which does help give you the weekend to reflect and spend those 15 minutes with the kids.)
2) I would give this book a yellow, caution light for Catholics, especially Catholics who are not firm in their faith. This book is unapologetically evangelical, so the Reformation's "solas," sola fide (faith alone) and sola scriptura (Bible alone), are all over this study. The Church does not teach either "sola." I make it a yellow light, because there is still much good in this study and there is plenty of overlap in Catholic and Evangelical thought.
Now to my praises:
1) It was great to see a systematic application of the fruits of the Spirit to the life of the mother.
2) She challenges the reader to be a better Christian and to put their life in correct order, putting God first.
3) There is a guide in the back for group study.
4) She addresses many of those mothering questions that you typically don't discuss with others, like the drive for perfection.
Balancing the concerns and the praises, I would give this book 4-ish stars.
I was able to review this book thanks to my membership in Blogging for Books. Thank you for the opportunity. Walking with God in the Season of Motherhood is available now in your favorite bookstore.